Politicians queue up for ‘Z-plus’ security
New Delhi: More politicians are getting "Z-plus" security and the new entrants include Union Minister Beni Prasad Verma and BSP MP Brajesh Pathak months after the list of VIPs in this category was pruned during P Chidambaram`s tenure as Home Minister.
Verma, the Steel Minister, was provided with the enhanced security cover, after he claimed he was receiving threatening calls.
Asked whether the Z-plus security was justified for him, Verma cited his frequent visits to steel plants and mines in Naxal-hit Chattisgarh and receiving threatening calls.
He claimed that he had been provided security since early 90s and was downgraded for some period during which he had started receiving telephone calls prompting the Government to upgrade his security.
"I am also seen as opponent of (Samajwadi Party Chief) Mulayam Singh Yadav and there are political rivalries," he said.
Chidambaram during his tenure as Home Minister had also ensured that the list of VIPs enjoying enhanced security is properly scrutinised. As a result, several politicians, retired bureaucrats and some journalists lost the security cover.
However, after Chidambaram`s departure from the Home Ministry, politicians have again queued up for enhanced security cover. Some of them have been specific in asking for paramilitary commandos of their choice, officials associated with the developments said today.
The Home Ministry issued a directive for providing commando security cover to Verma following an "analysis" of various inputs suggesting that he faces a high security threat, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes