Politicians queue up for ‘Z-plus’ security
New Delhi: More politicians are getting "Z-plus" security and the new entrants include Union Minister Beni Prasad Verma and BSP MP Brajesh Pathak months after the list of VIPs in this category was pruned during P Chidambaram`s tenure as Home Minister.
Verma, the Steel Minister, was provided with the enhanced security cover, after he claimed he was receiving threatening calls.
Asked whether the Z-plus security was justified for him, Verma cited his frequent visits to steel plants and mines in Naxal-hit Chattisgarh and receiving threatening calls.
He claimed that he had been provided security since early 90s and was downgraded for some period during which he had started receiving telephone calls prompting the Government to upgrade his security.
"I am also seen as opponent of (Samajwadi Party Chief) Mulayam Singh Yadav and there are political rivalries," he said.
Chidambaram during his tenure as Home Minister had also ensured that the list of VIPs enjoying enhanced security is properly scrutinised. As a result, several politicians, retired bureaucrats and some journalists lost the security cover.
However, after Chidambaram`s departure from the Home Ministry, politicians have again queued up for enhanced security cover. Some of them have been specific in asking for paramilitary commandos of their choice, officials associated with the developments said today.
The Home Ministry issued a directive for providing commando security cover to Verma following an "analysis" of various inputs suggesting that he faces a high security threat, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IPL 2016: Unsold at auction, Hashim Amla signed by Kings XI Punjab as replacement for injured Shaun Marsh
- NEET 2016: 2nd phase to be held on July 24; Centre and CBSE should start preparations, says Supreme Court
- 12 Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorists detained as Delhi Police foils major terror plot, seizes explosives
- Spectacular view of the Bahamas from space – See pic!
- Kerala law student rape and murder: Oommen Chandy to meet family, promises help