Politicians sought help from ex-official to dilute cases: CBI
New Delhi: Several high profile people including politicians had visited the office of a former CBI officer to get their cases diluted, claims the probe agency which recently conducted searches at his place.
The documents and interrogation of former Superintendent of Police of the CBI JP Verma, who is at present in five day CBI custody, show that his "client list" included bureaucrats and politicians who were under probe by the agency, official sources alleged.
Verma was arrested on Friday for allegedly receiving money through a middleman -- Ramesh Gandhi -- to dilute a case against Milind Kumar Dey who is an accused in a CBI case for alleged bungling in grant of accreditation to law colleges in Bulandsher and Jaipur.
Dey was also arrested by the CBI on Friday, the sources said.
According to the CBI, Verma, who also worked as Deputy Commissioner in Civil Aviation Security, opened an aviation company in South Delhi after his retirement and had appointed some former agency officials as his consultants.
The sources alleged that the former officials were being used to influence their friends and colleagues in the CBI to dilute the cases against people who approached Verma`s consultancy firm for help.
The clientele included some politicians and bureaucrats who have been facing cases in the CBI, the sources alleged, but refused to identify the people saying that investigation was still on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note