Politics simmers over Chhath Puja festival
New Delhi: Amidst the politics brewing over the festival of Chhath Puja, some miscreants have torn off the posters of Congress MP Sajay Nirupam in Kandiwali area of Maharashtra on Sunday.
Maharashtra is already infamous for the controversies between Shiv Sena and North Indians. And now, Sanjay Nirupam’s statement has added fuel to the fire in Mumbai.
According to reports, while addressing a rally, Sanjay Nirupam has said, “If North Indians decide to take rest for one day, then Mumbai will stop.”
Reacting to Nirupam’s statement, Shiv Sena president, Uddhav Thackeray said, “Whoever will talk about closing of Mumbai, his teeth will be broken.”
MNS chief, Raj Thackeray also expressed displeasure over Nirupam’s statement. He said, “I will burn crackers after Diwali. Just wait and watch.”
Meanwhile, Bihar’s Chief Minister has urged his Delhi counterpart, Sheila Dikshit to declare Chhath Puja as a gazetted holiday in Delhi. BJP-led MCD is also at loggerheads with Delhi government on the issue of Chhath.
Earlier, MCD had announced Chhath Puja as a holiday on November 01 which was rejected by Sheila Dikshit.
According to the reports, Delhi’s Health minister AK Walia is expected to meet Chief Minister to solve the issue on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing