Poll panel, UNDP ink MoU for cooperation in poll management
New Delhi: The Election Commission of India and the United Nations Development Programme on Thursday inked an MoU for cooperation in election management, particularly for supporting elections and democratic process in other countries.
The MoU was signed by Akshay Rout, Director General, Election Commission, and Lise Grande, UNDP Resident Representative and UN Resident Coordinator from UNDP`s side. It was inked in the presence of Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath, Election Commissioners, HS Brahma and Nasim Zaidi and UN Under Secretary General and UNDP Associate Administrator Rebeca Grynspan according to a statement.
Sampath said that transparency and strict enforcement have been the strength of the Election Commission which have lent total credibility to Indian elections. He underlined the Commission`s commitment to work along South-South cooperation and extend support to electoral process wherever there is a need, the statement said.
Grynspan, who led the eight-member UNDP delegation, lauded the "impressive independence" of the Indian Election Commission, which, she said is a source of stability. She thanked the Commission for making its resources available to all democratic nations through the outreach of UNDP.
ECI and UNDP have been working jointly in recent months to harness ECI`s competence in election management to the benefit of several countries. The collaboration is specially built around Commission`s one year old India International Institute of Democracy and Election Management (IIIDEM) which offers courses for international election practitioners. Election Commission has signed MOUs with 14 countries for sharing electoral practices and extending electoral assistance, it said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah