Poll scenario suffering from mob-muscle method: SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court has justified
its intervention in the students union election saying the
general poll scenario in the country is "murky and suffering
from mob-muscle methods which have deleterious effects".
A bench headed by Justice AK Ganguly said a value-based
mechanism should be inculcated at election to students` bodies
so that the quality of general elections ultimately improves.
"The main thrust behind such intervention is because of
the fact that the general election scenario in this country is
murky and suffering from mob-muscle methods which have
deleterious effects on various elections including the conduct
of free and fair elections to students` unions," the bench
"It goes without saying that the students are the future
representatives in various democratic bodies like state
legislative assemblies as well as Parliament in our democratic
"This court, therefore, thought that a value-based
mechanism should be inculcated at a very early stage in the
elections to students` bodies so that the same ultimately
transforms and improves the quality of general elections to
strengthen the democratic governance of the country," the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video