Poll scenario suffering from mob-muscle method: SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court has justified
its intervention in the students union election saying the
general poll scenario in the country is "murky and suffering
from mob-muscle methods which have deleterious effects".
A bench headed by Justice AK Ganguly said a value-based
mechanism should be inculcated at election to students` bodies
so that the quality of general elections ultimately improves.
"The main thrust behind such intervention is because of
the fact that the general election scenario in this country is
murky and suffering from mob-muscle methods which have
deleterious effects on various elections including the conduct
of free and fair elections to students` unions," the bench
"It goes without saying that the students are the future
representatives in various democratic bodies like state
legislative assemblies as well as Parliament in our democratic
"This court, therefore, thought that a value-based
mechanism should be inculcated at a very early stage in the
elections to students` bodies so that the same ultimately
transforms and improves the quality of general elections to
strengthen the democratic governance of the country," the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal