Polytechnics can provide skilled workforce: Sibal
Mumbai: The Union Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal on Monday stressed the need to improve quality of education in polytechnics for generating a skilled workforce.
Speaking at the second national convention of State Boards of Technical Education on `Polytechnic Education and Achievements and Challenges Ahead` here, Sibal said polytechnics should form tie-ups with the industry to upgrade the syllabus.
"We can get skilled workforce from polytechnic institutes as they are the future of our country," the Minister said.
Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh were doing well with regard to polytechnic education, he said.
"In Bihar, there are 12 government polytechnics and seven unaided institutions. Whereas in Uttar Pradesh, there are 17 government and 186 unaided polytechnics. Compared to the population of these two states, the number is much low," he said.
The students who had had their schooling in mediums other than English should be given study material in their own language, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says