Pon Radhakrishnan elected TN BJP unit chief
Chennai: Senior Tamil Nadu BJP leader and
former Union Minister Pon Radhakrishnan was on Wednesday elected as the president of party`s state unit for a three-year term.
Radhakrishnan promised to strengthen the party, which
drew blank both in the 2004 and 2009 Lok Sabha polls as well
as the 2006 state Assembly elections.
"The party will continue to strive for welfare of Tamils
all over the world and we will represent aspirations of the
people of the state," Radhakrishnan said after taking over the
mantle from outgoing president L Ganesan.
Recalling his party`s association with parties (DMK and
AIADMK) at different points of time, Radhakrishnan said he
will take steps to ensure that other parties realise the
importance of allying with BJP in the future.
An advocate by profession and a RSS member, Radhakrishnan
joined BJP in 1980 and was made a minister of state in the
Vajpayee government in 1999 after he won the Nagercoil Lok
Radhakrishnan`s election was announced in the party`s
state general council by BJP Rajya Sabha MP and election
observer Balbir Punj.
Referring to the recent spate of terror-related arrests
in Kerala, Punj, also party`s national secretary, told
reporters the state had become a "hotbed of terrorists" to use
it as a "laboratory" for their activities against the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!