Ponty Chadha case: Two absconding accused surrender
New Delhi: The two men, wanted for their alleged roles in the killings of liquor baron Ponty Chadha and his brother Hardeep at a farm house here on Friday surrendered before a Delhi court which sent them to police custody for two days.
The two accused, who were chargesheeted alongwith sacked Uttarakhand minorities panel chief SS Namdhari and 19 others for killings on November 17, last year, appeared before Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Raj Kumar Tripathi who remanded them in police custody till May 12.
Having absconded for over five months, Premveer and Inderpal surrendered only after the judge on April 25 had ordered initiation of proceedings under section 82 of the Code of Criminal Proceedings (CrPC) to declare them proclaimed offenders.
The two, against whom the proceedings were ordered, were private security guards of Ponty`s brother Rajender Chadha and are natives of Uttar Pradesh.
Under section 82 of CrPC, if the court has a reason to believe that the accused is absconding or concealing himself, it orders the prosecution to publish a notice about the accused or publicly announce or affix information about the person near his house or public places for making him appear in the court.
Meanwhile, the court extended till May 23 the judicial custody of seven accused named in a charge sheet for their alleged roles in the killing of Ponty and Hardeep.
Seeking two days custody of the accused, the Delhi Police Crime Branch officials told the court that they have to be interrogated throughly as they were also involved in the commission of the crime.
Ponty and Hardeep, who had an alleged property dispute, were killed in a shootout at a Chhattarpur farmhouse in south Delhi.
Besides Namdhari and his personal security officer Sachin Tyagi, the police on February 16 had chargesheeted 20 others including Ponty for the offences including attempt to murder, causing grievous harm, dacoity, rioting with deadly weapons, house trespass, kidnapping and illegally confining occupants of the farm house and destruction of evidence.
All the 22 accused have been charged with criminal conspiracy, common intention and those under the Arms Act.
The charge sheet named Ponty as an accused as he had reached the farm house in pursuance of his "well-hatched conspiracy" with Namdhari and others to take over the possession of the disputed property which was under Hardeep`s custody.
Out of the 22, proceedings against Ponty stand abated as he was killed in the shootout.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Gujarat ATS arrest two people for planning a bomb blast in Rajkot's Chotila temple
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter