Poonch encounter: Antony seeks report from Army
New Delhi: Taking a serious view of the
alleged fake encounter in Poonch, Defence Minister A K Antony
has directed the army to submit a detailed report to him on
"The Minister has directed the army to submit a detailed
report to him on the incident that took place on Sunday in
Poonch," Defence Ministry sources said here.
The incident which took place on Sunday, in which a top
LeT militant from Pakistan was said to have been killed, was
allegedly fake and the victim was a civilian.
A Special Police Officer(SPO) and an army jawan who
allegedly staged the killing of an unidentified mentally
challenged civilian from Rajouri as part of a conspiracy to
gain personal benefits were arrested and booked for murder,
police said yesterday.
Poonch SSP Ashkoor Wani had told reporters that SPO Noor
Hussain and the jawan Abdul Majeed were arrested on Monday for
carrying out the fake encounter by murdering a civilian and
calling him divisional commander of Lashker-e-Taiba Abu Usman.
The army on Sunday had claimed to have killed a Pakistani
militant and divisional commander of Lashker-e-Taiba, Abu
Usman, after a 12-hour gunbattle at Surankote area of Poonch
district in Jammu region. However, during the probe it was
found that the deceased was a civilian.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India