Poonch encounter: Antony seeks report from Army
New Delhi: Taking a serious view of the
alleged fake encounter in Poonch, Defence Minister A K Antony
has directed the army to submit a detailed report to him on
"The Minister has directed the army to submit a detailed
report to him on the incident that took place on Sunday in
Poonch," Defence Ministry sources said here.
The incident which took place on Sunday, in which a top
LeT militant from Pakistan was said to have been killed, was
allegedly fake and the victim was a civilian.
A Special Police Officer(SPO) and an army jawan who
allegedly staged the killing of an unidentified mentally
challenged civilian from Rajouri as part of a conspiracy to
gain personal benefits were arrested and booked for murder,
police said yesterday.
Poonch SSP Ashkoor Wani had told reporters that SPO Noor
Hussain and the jawan Abdul Majeed were arrested on Monday for
carrying out the fake encounter by murdering a civilian and
calling him divisional commander of Lashker-e-Taiba Abu Usman.
The army on Sunday had claimed to have killed a Pakistani
militant and divisional commander of Lashker-e-Taiba, Abu
Usman, after a 12-hour gunbattle at Surankote area of Poonch
district in Jammu region. However, during the probe it was
found that the deceased was a civilian.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Sushant Singh Rajput, Shraddha Kapoor to come together! No, we aren’t talking about a film
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 pre-registrations begins from today
- Kashmir unrest: J&K delegation meets PM Modi; seeks immediate ban on pellet gun
- Cow vigilantism? Man heckled in Mumbai on suspicion of carrying bag made of cowhide
- Jigisha Ghosh murder case: Delhi court pronounces death for two convicts, life in jail for third