Port workers threaten to go on indefinite strike from Jan 4
Mumbai: Five major port federations have
threatened to go on an indefinite strike from Monday if their
demand for a wage revision remains unresolved in the meeting
with the Indian Ports Association (IPA) scheduled that day.
"We have decided to go ahead with the proposed indefinite
strike from Monday if the meeting with IPA fails to find a
solution to our demands," All India Port & Dock Workers
Federation President S R Kulkarni told a news agency.
The strike, which would involve 6,000 port and
dockworkers across 12 major ports in the country, was called
to press the workers` demand relating to wage revision.
The government is expected to lose about Rs 1,000 crore
in revenues per day if the workers heed to the strike call.
A meeting between the Federations and the Indian Ports
Association held on January 1 in the presence of the Chief
Labour Commissioner ended inconclusively.
The five Federations, which have threatened the strike
from Monday include INTUC, HMS, AITUC and CITU affiliated
Over the past three years, these federations have held
nearly 24 rounds of discussions with the IPA but failed to
resolve the contentious issue, Kulkarni said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'