Positive change observed, but Jyoti Basu still critical
Kolkata: The condition of 95-year-old Marxist leader Jyoti Basu, hospitalised with pneumonia, has shown ‘positive change’ but still remains critical, the latest medical bulletin AMRI Hospital, where he is admitted, said on Wednesday evening.
“The condition of Mr Basu is critical but there are positive changes since the last medical bulletin at 11.30am. We are continuously monitoring him and the next review will be announced tomorrow at 11 am,” it said.
The bulletin revealed that blood pressure and urine discharge was in control now. Heart and kidney were also functioning normally.
Earlier in the day, his situation had turned "very critical" and he was put on a ventilator after developing acute breathing problems.
"His condition is unstable and very critical," Dr A K Maity, Basu`s personal physician and also a member of the medical board constituted at the AMRI hospital, Salt Lake where the former West Bengal Chief Minister is admitted, had said.
A medical bulletin issued by the hospital had said, "Basu has been put on ventilation following acute respiratory problem due to deteriorating lung condition, but his heart and his kidneys are functioning normally so far."
Basu, who was admitted to the hospital on Friday last, was improving till yesterday, but his health parameters turned erratic early this morning and there was no option but to put him on life support, Superintendent of AMRI Hospital Dr Debashish Sharma said.
West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee told reporters at the state secretariat, "Basu`s condition is not good."
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh telephoned to inquire about Basu`s condition, he said.
Many political leaders both from the Left Front and the Opposition visited the hospital. CPI-M general secretary Prakash Karat and his party colleague, politburo member Sitaram Yechury, will leave for Kolkata Thursday morning.-
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon