Positive to idea of liberal visa regime with Pakistan: PC
New Delhi: India is "positive" to liberalise
visa regime with Pakistan to facilitate greater people-to-
people contacts between the two nations, Home Minister P
Chidambaram said on Friday.
"We have liberalised considerably but in the Home
Secretary level talks there was a suggestion that we should
meet again and a joint working group should be constituted to
explore further liberalisation.
"We are positive to the idea that there must be a liberal
visa regime between India and Pakistan. So a joint working
group would suggest further liberalisation," he told reporters
here during his monthly press briefing.
According to a joint statement issued on March 29 after
the two-day Home Secretary level talks with Pakistan, both the
sides had agreed to set-up a JWG to examine the modalities for
streamlining the visa procedure and for giving a final shape
to the revision of bilateral visa agreement.
After the talks official sources had said a proposal has
been put forth to relax norms for issuance of visa to
journalists, businessmen, senior citizens and patients coming
for medical treatment.
Under the proposal, the visa issued for journalists,
businessmen, senior citizen or patients travelling for
treatment will not be city specific and visa holders would be
allowed to travel across the country, they said.
The Indian side is understood to have proposed to relax
norms for people who have a valid visa and want to travel
again within the span of two years by removing time-consuming
security background check process which is done from here.
The Indian High Commission in Pakistan will be empowered
to issue necessary permission to such travellers, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof