Post-retirement home for Prez finalised in Pune
New Delhi: A post-retirement residence for President Pratibha Patil has been finalised in Pune by the government, after she had to give up an accommodation following a controversy.
Officials said that the bungalow which the Urban Development Ministry has finalised is in the Pashan Road area of Pune.
Secretary Urban Development Sudhir Krishna said, "There is a proposal for accommodation in Pune which belongs to the Maharashtra government about which we have written to them and are awaiting their response.
"We have identified a plot on Pashan Road in Pune in consultation with the local and state authorities. We have now made a request to the state government and a formal offer letter is expected," he said.
Krishna also said that since the Central Public Works Department (CPWD) did not have any suitable residence which met the desired criteria in Pune, the ministry had to look at alternative accommodation.
He said that once the house is handed over to the Directorate of Estates which comes under the Ministry of Urban Development, it will be furnished by the CPWD.
The Urban Development Secretary said that while many Presidents had chosen to take up post-retirement accommodation in New Delhi itself, others had requested for accommodation in their home states.
"Former president Neelam Sanjeeva Reddy had been provided residence in his home state of Andhra Pradesh with help from the state government," Krishna said.
Patil may move temporarily to a government bungalow in Delhi next month till the time the Pune house is ready.
She had earlier wanted construction of a house on a defence land in Pune which got mired in controversy following which she changed her mind.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way