Post-retirement home for Prez finalised in Pune
New Delhi: A post-retirement residence for President Pratibha Patil has been finalised in Pune by the government, after she had to give up an accommodation following a controversy.
Officials said that the bungalow which the Urban Development Ministry has finalised is in the Pashan Road area of Pune.
Secretary Urban Development Sudhir Krishna said, "There is a proposal for accommodation in Pune which belongs to the Maharashtra government about which we have written to them and are awaiting their response.
"We have identified a plot on Pashan Road in Pune in consultation with the local and state authorities. We have now made a request to the state government and a formal offer letter is expected," he said.
Krishna also said that since the Central Public Works Department (CPWD) did not have any suitable residence which met the desired criteria in Pune, the ministry had to look at alternative accommodation.
He said that once the house is handed over to the Directorate of Estates which comes under the Ministry of Urban Development, it will be furnished by the CPWD.
The Urban Development Secretary said that while many Presidents had chosen to take up post-retirement accommodation in New Delhi itself, others had requested for accommodation in their home states.
"Former president Neelam Sanjeeva Reddy had been provided residence in his home state of Andhra Pradesh with help from the state government," Krishna said.
Patil may move temporarily to a government bungalow in Delhi next month till the time the Pune house is ready.
She had earlier wanted construction of a house on a defence land in Pune which got mired in controversy following which she changed her mind.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Athlete Dutee Chand qualifies for Rio Olympics in 100m sprint
- Enthusiasm in social networking may earn you a job: ASSOCHAM report
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- Pak looks for lobbyist in US after recent diplomatic disasters
- Copa America Final: Messi `the best player of all time`, believes Chile manager Juan Antonio Pizzi
- Watch: 'Kumkum Bhagya' Episode 604—Tanushree plans a conspiracy to denigrate Pragya
- Micromax launches Unite 4, Unite 4 pro smartphones
- Football Transfer: Barcelona's Dani Alves undergoes Juventus medical