Post-surgery, Sonia makes first public appearance
New Delhi: On the 142nd birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi on Saturday, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chief Sonia Gandhi visited Rajghat to pay tribute to the Father of the Nation.
This is Sonia Gandhi`s first public appearance after her surgery in the United States. She returned to India on September 08.
To pay honour to Mahatma Gandhi, senior BJP leader LK Advani, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath were also present at Rajghat.
Gandhi, 64, was there for about 15-20 minutes at the memorial.
Leaders of various religions also offered prayers at the Gandhi samadhi.
After the prayers, Advani was seen talking to Gandhi apparently enquiring about her health.
Gandhi had undergone a surgery for undisclosed ailment in August and returned to the capital last month.
Though she had attended a couple of meetings with top Congress leaders, she had not attended any public function so far.
The United Nations has declared October 02 as the International Day of Non-Violence. This year, the grand-daughter of Mahatma Gandhi, Tara Gandhi Bhattacharjee, wants the world and the country to observe one-minute of silence on Gandhi Jayanti.
Gandhi, born this day in 1869 at Porbandar in Gujarat, played a key role in India`s independence struggle. He was assassinated on January 30, 1948.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?