Post-surgery, Sonia makes first public appearance
New Delhi: On the 142nd birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi on Saturday, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chief Sonia Gandhi visited Rajghat to pay tribute to the Father of the Nation.
This is Sonia Gandhi`s first public appearance after her surgery in the United States. She returned to India on September 08.
To pay honour to Mahatma Gandhi, senior BJP leader LK Advani, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath were also present at Rajghat.
Gandhi, 64, was there for about 15-20 minutes at the memorial.
Leaders of various religions also offered prayers at the Gandhi samadhi.
After the prayers, Advani was seen talking to Gandhi apparently enquiring about her health.
Gandhi had undergone a surgery for undisclosed ailment in August and returned to the capital last month.
Though she had attended a couple of meetings with top Congress leaders, she had not attended any public function so far.
The United Nations has declared October 02 as the International Day of Non-Violence. This year, the grand-daughter of Mahatma Gandhi, Tara Gandhi Bhattacharjee, wants the world and the country to observe one-minute of silence on Gandhi Jayanti.
Gandhi, born this day in 1869 at Porbandar in Gujarat, played a key role in India`s independence struggle. He was assassinated on January 30, 1948.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM