Post-surgery, Sonia makes first public appearance
New Delhi: On the 142nd birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi on Saturday, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chief Sonia Gandhi visited Rajghat to pay tribute to the Father of the Nation.
This is Sonia Gandhi`s first public appearance after her surgery in the United States. She returned to India on September 08.
To pay honour to Mahatma Gandhi, senior BJP leader LK Advani, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath were also present at Rajghat.
Gandhi, 64, was there for about 15-20 minutes at the memorial.
Leaders of various religions also offered prayers at the Gandhi samadhi.
After the prayers, Advani was seen talking to Gandhi apparently enquiring about her health.
Gandhi had undergone a surgery for undisclosed ailment in August and returned to the capital last month.
Though she had attended a couple of meetings with top Congress leaders, she had not attended any public function so far.
The United Nations has declared October 02 as the International Day of Non-Violence. This year, the grand-daughter of Mahatma Gandhi, Tara Gandhi Bhattacharjee, wants the world and the country to observe one-minute of silence on Gandhi Jayanti.
Gandhi, born this day in 1869 at Porbandar in Gujarat, played a key role in India`s independence struggle. He was assassinated on January 30, 1948.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow