POTA court convicts 22 in ISI-backed terror conspiracy case
Ahmedabad: A designated POTA court here
on Tuesday convicted 22 people and acquitted an equal number in an
ISI-backed terror conspiracy case to avenge post-Godhra
communal riots in Gujarat.
In the case filed in 2003, the 44 accused were
allegedly involved in jihadi activities in connivance with
some elements in Pakistan.
POTA court judge Jyotsana Yagnik sentenced 18 of the
22 accused to 10 years imprisonment, while three got nine
years and one three years jail term. Out of the 22 convicted
21 are from the city and one from Mumbai.
The accused have been convicted under Section 3(1)(A),
3(3) and 4 of POTA.
Most of the 22 acquitted for want of evidence are from
The accused had been charged with illegally crossing
over to Pakistan for training to unleash terror in order to
avenge the 2002 riots. They were also accused of plotting to
kill Gujarat leaders including Chief Minister Narendra Modi,
besides hatching various terror conspiracies in the state.
Thirty-six other accused including gangster Dawood
Ibrahim, his aide Chhota Shakeel, besides Rasool Party and
Mufti Sufiyan Patangia are absconding.
The prosecution insisted that ISI played a key role in
picking up the accused and taking them to Pakistan for arms
training to execute terror plans, while defence contested the
charge and claimed the accused were illegally detained by city
crime branch much before their arrest was shown on record.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- Dayashankar row: How sympathising BSP leader Nasimuddin Siddiqui turns into a 'villain' – READ
- Will meet Dayashankar's daughter on Sunday: Naik
- It's Giggs' Mumbai vs Solgado's Kochi in Premier Futsal final
- Two Maoists gunned down by security forces in Chhattisgarh
- 1 die, 3 injured as fire breaks out in highrise