Poverty responsible for Naxalism: BJP leader
Gurgaon: Senior BJP leader and former Himachal Pradesh chief minister Shanta Kumar on Thursday said that poverty, illiteracy and unemployment were behind the rise in Naxalism in the country and held the UPA`s policy responsible for it.
"More than 95 percent Maoists exist because of poverty, illiteracy and unemployment and not because of the ideology of Maoism," said the BJP leader at a function here.
"The report of a 15-member committee on Naxal-effected areas has revealed the truth," he added.
The Bharatiya Janata Party leader, who is also the head of parliament`s Standing Committee on Commerce, said the United Progressive Alliance`s food security bill was rather a "vote security bill" for the next parliamentary elections and that people understand this.
Shanta Kumar added that due to lack of a proper distribution system, the new bill would boost corruption rather then help people. "The mid-day meal with Rs.12,000 crore yearly budget has failed to produce the desired results," he said.
He also alleged that the UPA`s polices were pro-rich and anti-poor and termed the Manmohan Singh-led government at the centre as the "most corrupt and inefficient" in the history of independent India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Security forces, militants engaged in gunfight in Kupwara
- MUST WATCH VIDEO: When Shoaib Akhtar bowled Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar off consecutive balls!
- West Bengal: Net worth of richest MLA Rs 40 crore, poorest has Rs 50,000
- France faces fresh strikes as nuclear workers join protest
- Australia to examine more possible MH370 debris