Power situation to improve in 15 days: Shinde
New Delhi: At a time when many parts of the country are grappling with acute electricity shortage, Power Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde Wednesday expressed confidence that the situation will improve within 15 days.
Sweltering heat, mostly in Northern parts of the country, and deficient monsoon so far are resulting in severe power problems especially against the backdrop of rising demand.
"It is true that electricity is less in the country. This is summer season. Delhi and other big cities are affected... I am sure that in coming 15 days, the situation will be much better," Shinde told reporters here.
Union Minister of State for Power K C Venugopal echoed similar views, saying that situation is expected to improve.
"The power situation is not so bad in the country and the situation is expected to improve in the coming weeks," he said.
As per latest official data, the country saw a power deficit -- shortfall in meeting the demand -- of 13,653 MW on Tuesday. The total power requirement stood at about 1,29,017 MW, of which only 1,15,364 MW was met.
When asked whether weak monsoon has affected hydro power generation in the country, Shinde said, "I don`t think we are facing any acute problems. Still, there are some problems at some places".
However, he did not elaborate.
Presently, hydro power accounts for over 22 per cent of country`s total installed capacity of more than 2,00,000 MW.
"The power demand met till 8 pm yesterday was 1,15,364 MW, a deficit of 13,653 MW," according to the National Load Despatch Centre -- the apex body to ensure integrated operation of the national power system.
Going by official data, as many as 29 thermal power stations had less than seven days of stock on the first day of July, reflecting the severe coal shortages in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch