Pradeep Kumar sworn-in as new CVC
New Delhi: Former Defence Secretary Pradeep Kumar was on Thursday sworn-in as the new Central Vigilance Commissioner (CVC) replacing PJ Thomas whose appointment was
struck down by the Supreme Court in March.
President Pratibha Patil administered the oath of office to 62-year-old Kumar, a 1972 batch IAS officer of Haryana cadre, at a brief function in Rashtrapati Bhavan.
Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Cabinet Secretary Ajit Seth, Chief Election Commissioner SY Quraishi, Minister of State for Department of Personnel and Training V Narayansamy and Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj were among those present at the swearing-in ceremony lasted for about 10 minutes.
The Supreme Court had on March 3 quashed the appointment of Thomas citing a pending charge sheet in a corruption case against him in Kerala. Since then, the post has been lying vacant.
Kumar was chosen for the CVC`s post unanimously by a panel comprising the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Home Minister P Chidambaram and Swaraj about a fortnight ago.
He will have a tenure of a little over three years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa