`Praful didn`t demand an apology for US detention`
Washington: US Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano says Indian Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel did not ask her for an apology over being detained at Chicago airport but they did discuss how to make air travel safe.
"Well, I actually met with the minister yesterday. We had a good conversation" in Montreal Tuesday on the sidelines of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) meet, she told CNN Wednesday when asked about the Chicago incident.
"And I think that -- you know, I think it gives confidence that no one is exempt from screening or random screening. That`s part of the process. Unpredictability is part of the process," she said.
"On the other hand, when you have known experts from other countries, known higher officials from other countries we need to make sure that they can get through the airport smoothly," Napolitano said.
Asked if she had apologised to the minister for being detained and "really grilled" at the Chicago`s O`Hare Airport Monday on way to Montreal, she said: "He (Patel) didn`t ask for an apology, but we did talk about what is needed in both countries to make sure that air travel remains safe."
Praful Patel had gone to Chicago on a personal visit to meet his son enroute to Montreal. He was quizzed at the airport as he shares the same name and date of birth with a person who is on the blacklist of immigration authorities. He was travelling on a regular passport and not the diplomatic ones that ministers use. He was later allowed to let leave the airport and enter the US.
Napolitano said global aviation has been much safer since the failed Christmas Day bombing attempt by an underwear bomber due to the series of security measures taken by the US and other countries.
"I think global aviation has been safe. Our goal is to keep it so. And to make sure that we are adapting where we need to in light of the fact that the threat keeps evolving and adapting," she said.
"So, when you have 190 nations of the world in one place reaching a global consensus on not only a set of standards to be achieved but also a set of regional summits that will take place over the next 18 months, and really a commitment to make sure this global aviation system which helps knit us all together remains safe, that`s really a historic achievement
," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015