Prajapati encounter: CBI asked to file chargesheet by June 30
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday asked CBI to file its charge sheet in the case of alleged "encounter" killing of suspected gangster Tulsiram Prajapati by top Gujarat police officials by June 30.
A bench of justices K S Radhakrishnan and J S Khehar gave additional time to CBI on a plea for it by its counsel.
The counsel said the probe was on the verge of completion and it required further time "to fill in some missing gaps."
The apex court had earlier in April 2011 transferred the probe into the case to the CBI with a direction to complete it within six months. This is the fourth time that the agency has sought an extension for filing the charge sheet.
As per the CBI, Prajapati was gunned down by the Gujarat and Rajasthan police because he was an eyewitness to abduction of Sheikh and his wife Kauser Bi in November 2005.
The CBI insists that Tulsiram was the third person travelling with the couple in the Sangli-bound bus from Hyderabad.
The Gujarat police has rubbished its claim saying that the third person was Andhra Pradesh`s Kalimuddin.
Several top IPS officers inclduing DIG D G Vanzara and SP Rajkumar Pandian have been arrested for their alleged role in the Soharbauddin`s encounter killing, probed by the CBI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in