Pranab advises MPs to fulfil their responsibilities
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Wednesday advised young parliamentarians to fulfil their responsibilities in terms of the people`s expectations of them, saying pointedly that "it takes years to build institutions but they can be destroyed easily".
The young parliamentarians, from various parties, met him to present a copy of "India: The Future is Now" (Wisdom Tree). The book, edited by Minister of State for Human Resource Development Shashi Tharoor has contributions by these Lok Sabha members about their vision and road-map for the country.
The president, a veteran parliamentarian himself, lauded the young MPs for coming together to produce this unique book. He said, "It will be good even for the MPs themselves to look back at their contributions after a few years to see how their own perception and vision has changed."
Tharoor presented the book and contributors to the president. They included Jay Panda (BJD), Anurag Singh Thakur, Poonamben Jat, Sanjay Jaiswal, Nishikant Dubey (all BJP), M.B. Rajesh (CPI-M) as also well-known cartoonist Sudhir Tailang and publisher Shobit Arya.
Congress MPs Jyotiraditya Scindia, Milind Deora, Hamdullah Sayeed amd Priya Dutt Roncon have also contributed to the book but were not present at the meeting with the president.
Tharoor, in his introductory essay, articulates the sense of duty that connects these young parliamentarians and inspires them to think beyond the boundaries of political affiliations and ideologies.
"Whether we grow by 9 per cent, as we once did, or by just about 6 per cent, as we did in 2012, our fundamental commitment must be to the bottom 25 per cent of our society," Tharoor wrote.
"This book seeks to establish a connection between the parliamentarians and the citizens of this country," said Arya.
"It provides a platform where our future leaders speak about their hopes and challenges. It becomes a forum where thoughts and ideas are exchanged with the sole intent of making India`s future better and brighter."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Rahul Gandhi must come clean on how Mahatma Gandhi's assassin was affiliated to RSS: Vaidya
- Japanese truck driver playing Pokemon Go kills pedestrian
- `No radicalisation` in Australia stabbing death: Police
- How to get MIUI 8 update on Xiaomi smartphone: Check out tutorial
- IT'S DISTURBING: Watch little Syrian girl singing before a bomb explodes