Pranab appeals Mamata Banerjee to vote for him
Srinagar: UPA Presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee on Sunday said he has been making appeals to Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee every day asking her to vote for him.
"I appeal to her almost every day...That is for her to decide," Mukherjee told reporters when asked if he would appeal to the Trinamool Congress chief, an UPA ally at the Centre, to vote for him.
Mamata is yet to take a decision on her party`s position on the Presidential poll to be held on July 19.
Mukherjee, who is here to drum up support for his Presidential bid, met the legislators of the ruling National Conference - Congress coalition, opposition PDP and three independent MLAs.
The former Union Finance Minister said his meetings were part of thanksgiving to those political parties which have extended support to his Presidential race.
"I am meeting only with those legislators who belong to the political parties which have extended support to me and I am meeting their leaders also," he said.
"I decided and it is also the practise that I visit the states to express my gratitude and offer thanks to the political leaders, members of the state legislature, members of the Parliament for extending their support to me," he said.
Mukerjee later drove to the residence of former state Chief Minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed where he met the top leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party.
On the issue of capital punishment, Mukherjee said he can not voice his "personal opinion".
On Jammu and Kashmir, Mukherjee said he, "would like to definitely see that this beautiful state gets its most rightful place, it is developed to the full potential."
"Of course, within the parameters of Constitutional functioning and Constitutional responsibility, this is my desire to see that the full developmental potential of the state is being exploited," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional