Pranab asks states to use Aadhaar nos to distribute ration,LPG
New Delhi: In order to curb expenditure and streamline delivery mechanism, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Thursday asked states to use the Aadhaar platform for distributing subsidised ration and cooking gas cylinders, and implement other government schemes.
"...Given the huge potential of the Aadhaar initiative to streamline delivery and empowering the common citizen, while at the same time curbing expenditure, it is in our mutual interest to get these pilots going at the earliest," he said in his letter to chief ministers of 16 states.
In his letter, Mukherjee also underlined the need for expeditious rollout of Aadhaar-enabled payments for various central government schemes.
In the first stage, such payment mechanism would be rolled out for various central government schemes in 50 districts spread over 16 states.
Mukherjee said that pilots are proposed to be run for Public Distribution System, LPG distribution, kerosene disbursal.
Besides, government pension schemes, Janani Suraksha Yojana, government scholarships, financial inclusion, Kisan Credit Cards (KCCs) and MGNREGS wage disbursal would also come under the pilot project.
In his 2012-13 Budget Speech, Mukherjee had said that the Aadhaar platform was now ready to support payments under various schemes directly to the beneficiaries` accounts.
The letter was written to chief ministers of States and Union Territories -- Kerala, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Rajasthan, Sikkim, Tripura, Goa, Gujarat, Jharkhand, Delhi, Puducherry, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra.
Mukherjee also asked them to further expand the list of districts already chosen in their respective States or Union Territories for running these pilots.
The Aadhaar scheme aims to provide each citizen with a 12-digit unique number to ensure, among other things, that the funds allocated by the Centre for various schemes directly reach the beneficiaries.
As on March 7, the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has issued 13.80 crore Aadhaar cards till March 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- No more surge pricing for Ola, Uber, others; all taxis to charge govt-set fares in Delhi from today
- Flood situation remains grim in UP, MP and Bihar; Ganga flowing above danger mark
- Grand welcome back home: PV Sindhu, Pullela Gopichand thank Telangana government for wonderful reception
- Imtiaz Ali permitted Shah Rukh Khan to upload this picture from the sets of 'The Ring'! – View inside
- Aprilia SR 150 to be launched at Rs 65,000; book via PayTM, get 100% cashback on booking amount