Pranab better than other UPA ministers: Anna
Mumbai: Anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare on Monday appeared to approve the candidature of Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee for the President`s post, describing him as "better than other UPA ministers".
He, however, maintained that a direct election could have resulted in former president APJ Abdul Kalam once again occupying the top Constitutional post.
"Pranab Mukherjee is a better minister compared to the rest of the ministers in the government. But if the President could be chosen through direct election, then APJ Abdul Kalam could have been elected easily," he said.
Hazare said this in an interview to a Marathi news channel.
"Mukherjee is an efficient minister. He has played an important role in several key decisions. He has been fielded by the UPA. Had it been any other minister, I would not have approved," Hazare added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video