Pranab calls for global action to end era of banki
New Delhi: Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Monday called for stepping up multilateral
cooperation to end the era of banking secrecy and deal with the "abusive" transfer pricing mechanism that is robbing developing nations of their scarce natural resources.
Mukherjee, while addressing a seminar on international taxation jointly organised by his ministry and the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD),
regretted that the banking system is still opaque in various non-tax and low tax jurisdictions.
Despite efforts made at the global level and statements issued by G-20 leaders at their London summit in April, 2009, "We cannot say with certainty that the bank secrecy is over in
all cases", the minister said.
"While the countries have accepted to end bank secrecy in general, come countries have agreed to do so only from a prospective date and are not willing to exchange past banking
information," Mukherjee said.
Such issues put a question mark on the efficacy of the present legal provisions for exchange of banking information, he said, adding, "There is an urgent need to revisit the
existing legal framework developed by the OECD in this regard".
The OECD is a club of developing countries and has been playing a key role in reforming the international taxation system.
Referring to the issues concerning transfer pricing, the minister said, "This abusive behaviour is robbing developing countries of their scarce resources, which is required for
financing development programmes."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical