Pranab conveyed commitment on Teesta: Bangladesh
Dhaka: Bangladesh Foreign Minister Dipu Moni said on Tuesday that visiting Indian President Pranab Mukherjee had conveyed to them "very strongly" that the Indian government is "fully committed" to the assurances given to Dhaka on the two outstanding issues - the Teesta water-sharing agreement and the land boundary agreement.
Addressing a press conference here, Moni said: "The Indian president has definitely conveyed to us and very strongly and conveyed it on many occasions that the Indian government is fully committed on its assurance given to Bangladesh."
Mukherjee had assured Dhaka that the Constitution Amendment Bill to facilitate implementation of the 1974 Land Boundary Agreeement (LBA) would be placed in parliament, she said.
"And once the consultations on it are done, he also expects the interim agreement on Teesta to be signed," she said.
The Bharatiya Janata Party has termed the 1974 India-Bangladesh Land Boundary Agreement as flawed and declared that the government cannot bank on its support when the Constitution Amendment Bill to facilitate implementation of the pact comes up in parliament during the budget session,
The Indian cabinet had last month cleared the bill to amend the India-Bangladesh Land Boundary Agreement, 1974. and the protocol of 2011.
Asked what if the BJP does not support the bill, Moni said she did not want to comment on the internal politics of India.
"They will have to take care of their own constituencies and fulfill their commitments. The assurance has come from the highest political level and highest office of the state of India saying they are committed, and they are hopeful it will be done soon, and we take it in that light."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!