Pranab dedicates plaque of Swami Vivekananda in Chicago
Chicago: Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Sunday dedicated a plaque of Swami Vivekananda at the prestigious Art Institute of Chicago and inaugurated a Tagore art exhibition here, to mark the 150th birth anniversaries of Swami Vivekananda and Rabindranath Tagore.
"Swami Vivekanda was practically India`s first cultural ambassador to United States," Mukherjee said at Fullerton Hall, where Vivekananda had delivered the famous and historic address at the Parliament of the World Religions in 1893 to
"This plaque fulfills our commitment and executes the long-cherished desire of people of India," he said.
India will give USD 500,000 to Art Institute of Chicago (AIC) to conduct `Vivekananda Memorial Programme for Museum Excellence` that will allow professional exchange of ideas between it and various museums in India.
Under the programme, AIC will work with the Indian Government to impart a broad range of knowledge on modern operations of museums like conservation, planning of exhibitions, etc, for a four-year period.
Mukherjee thanked AIC president Douglas Druick for his cooperation in setting up the Chair.
The minister also cut the ribbon for the opening ceremony of Tagore`s paintings called "The Last Harvest".
"His (Tagore`s) paintings and drawings remain fresh even today," Mukherjee said.
Indian Ambassador to the US Nirupama Rao also spoke of Vivekananda`s contribution to the merger.
"Swami Vivekananda marked the beginning of East-West global dialogue," Rao said.
AIC is also planning to spend USD 175,000 for India in planning of exhibitions and conservation techniques.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter