Pranab does not hold office of profit: Govt
New Delhi: Rejecting PA Sangma`s claim and objection, the government on Monday said that UPA nominee Pranab Mukherjee resigned as chairman of the Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) a week before he filed his nomination in the President`s Election and does not hold any office of profit.
"He (Mukherjee) had resigned as chairman, ISI, on June 20, a week before he filed his nominations," Parliamentary Affairs Minister PK Bansal said shortly after Sangma`s camp filed a petition seeking cancellation of the UPA`s candidate`s nomination on grounds of holding an office of profit.
Bansal, the authorised representative of Mukherjee, said he and Home Minister P Chidambaram met Mukherjee after Sangma`s claim and they were told by him of his resignation well in advance of filing the nomination.
"Pranab Mukherjee would be filing a written reply to the Returning Officer by 3 pm tomorrow," the Parliamentary Affairs Minister said.
Bansal said Sangma`s claim was factually incorrect, legally ill-conceived and untenable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi