Pranab does not hold office of profit: Govt
New Delhi: Rejecting PA Sangma`s claim and objection, the government on Monday said that UPA nominee Pranab Mukherjee resigned as chairman of the Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) a week before he filed his nomination in the President`s Election and does not hold any office of profit.
"He (Mukherjee) had resigned as chairman, ISI, on June 20, a week before he filed his nominations," Parliamentary Affairs Minister PK Bansal said shortly after Sangma`s camp filed a petition seeking cancellation of the UPA`s candidate`s nomination on grounds of holding an office of profit.
Bansal, the authorised representative of Mukherjee, said he and Home Minister P Chidambaram met Mukherjee after Sangma`s claim and they were told by him of his resignation well in advance of filing the nomination.
"Pranab Mukherjee would be filing a written reply to the Returning Officer by 3 pm tomorrow," the Parliamentary Affairs Minister said.
Bansal said Sangma`s claim was factually incorrect, legally ill-conceived and untenable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH