Pranab does not hold office of profit: Govt
New Delhi: Rejecting PA Sangma`s claim and objection, the government on Monday said that UPA nominee Pranab Mukherjee resigned as chairman of the Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) a week before he filed his nomination in the President`s Election and does not hold any office of profit.
"He (Mukherjee) had resigned as chairman, ISI, on June 20, a week before he filed his nominations," Parliamentary Affairs Minister PK Bansal said shortly after Sangma`s camp filed a petition seeking cancellation of the UPA`s candidate`s nomination on grounds of holding an office of profit.
Bansal, the authorised representative of Mukherjee, said he and Home Minister P Chidambaram met Mukherjee after Sangma`s claim and they were told by him of his resignation well in advance of filing the nomination.
"Pranab Mukherjee would be filing a written reply to the Returning Officer by 3 pm tomorrow," the Parliamentary Affairs Minister said.
Bansal said Sangma`s claim was factually incorrect, legally ill-conceived and untenable.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark