Pranab does not hold office of profit: Govt
New Delhi: Rejecting PA Sangma`s claim and objection, the government on Monday said that UPA nominee Pranab Mukherjee resigned as chairman of the Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) a week before he filed his nomination in the President`s Election and does not hold any office of profit.
"He (Mukherjee) had resigned as chairman, ISI, on June 20, a week before he filed his nominations," Parliamentary Affairs Minister PK Bansal said shortly after Sangma`s camp filed a petition seeking cancellation of the UPA`s candidate`s nomination on grounds of holding an office of profit.
Bansal, the authorised representative of Mukherjee, said he and Home Minister P Chidambaram met Mukherjee after Sangma`s claim and they were told by him of his resignation well in advance of filing the nomination.
"Pranab Mukherjee would be filing a written reply to the Returning Officer by 3 pm tomorrow," the Parliamentary Affairs Minister said.
Bansal said Sangma`s claim was factually incorrect, legally ill-conceived and untenable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- OROP implementation after Bihar poll, says Manohar Parrikar