Pranab does not hold office of profit: Govt
New Delhi: Rejecting PA Sangma`s claim and objection, the government on Monday said that UPA nominee Pranab Mukherjee resigned as chairman of the Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) a week before he filed his nomination in the President`s Election and does not hold any office of profit.
"He (Mukherjee) had resigned as chairman, ISI, on June 20, a week before he filed his nominations," Parliamentary Affairs Minister PK Bansal said shortly after Sangma`s camp filed a petition seeking cancellation of the UPA`s candidate`s nomination on grounds of holding an office of profit.
Bansal, the authorised representative of Mukherjee, said he and Home Minister P Chidambaram met Mukherjee after Sangma`s claim and they were told by him of his resignation well in advance of filing the nomination.
"Pranab Mukherjee would be filing a written reply to the Returning Officer by 3 pm tomorrow," the Parliamentary Affairs Minister said.
Bansal said Sangma`s claim was factually incorrect, legally ill-conceived and untenable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra