Pranab files caveat before Sangma moved SC on Prez poll
New Delhi: Even before PA Sangma filed an election petition in the Supreme Court challenging Pranab Mukherjee`s election as President, Mukherjee filed a caveat on Tuesday seeking a copy of the petition against him.
The caveat was filed on behalf of Mukherjee by his advocate Sameer Parekh.
The Court Registry had also informed Sangma`s lawyers at the time of his filing the election petition that a caveat has been filed on behalf of Mukherjee and copies of the necessary documents requested be served to his counsel.
Sangma`s lawyer Satya Pal Jain confirmed the filing of the caveat on Wednesday saying "we were surprised to find that there is a caveat filed on behalf of Mukherjee ahead of our election petition. Ordinarily, it is filed in those cases where the other party is likely to make any request for interim orders and the caveat is to request the court not to pass any interim orders."
Mukherjee`s counsel confirmed the filing of caveat but refused to talk further.
Sangma had yesterday moved the Supreme Court challenging Mukherjee`s election saying the veteran Congress leader was not eligible for the post as he was holding offices of profit at the time of filing his nomination for the top post.
The petition, filed by Sangma, has contended Mukherjee was holding the offices of profit as the chairman of Indian Statistical Institute (ISI), Kolkata, and was also the leader of Congress Party in Lok Sabha when he had entered the Presidential race.
The tribal leader from Meghalaya, who lost the Presidential poll, has sought a direction for setting aside Mukherjee`s election as President and declaring him as elected to the post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday