Pranab files caveat before Sangma moved SC on Prez poll
New Delhi: Even before PA Sangma filed an election petition in the Supreme Court challenging Pranab Mukherjee`s election as President, Mukherjee filed a caveat on Tuesday seeking a copy of the petition against him.
The caveat was filed on behalf of Mukherjee by his advocate Sameer Parekh.
The Court Registry had also informed Sangma`s lawyers at the time of his filing the election petition that a caveat has been filed on behalf of Mukherjee and copies of the necessary documents requested be served to his counsel.
Sangma`s lawyer Satya Pal Jain confirmed the filing of the caveat on Wednesday saying "we were surprised to find that there is a caveat filed on behalf of Mukherjee ahead of our election petition. Ordinarily, it is filed in those cases where the other party is likely to make any request for interim orders and the caveat is to request the court not to pass any interim orders."
Mukherjee`s counsel confirmed the filing of caveat but refused to talk further.
Sangma had yesterday moved the Supreme Court challenging Mukherjee`s election saying the veteran Congress leader was not eligible for the post as he was holding offices of profit at the time of filing his nomination for the top post.
The petition, filed by Sangma, has contended Mukherjee was holding the offices of profit as the chairman of Indian Statistical Institute (ISI), Kolkata, and was also the leader of Congress Party in Lok Sabha when he had entered the Presidential race.
The tribal leader from Meghalaya, who lost the Presidential poll, has sought a direction for setting aside Mukherjee`s election as President and declaring him as elected to the post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened