Pranab gaining support of allies
New Delhi: Pranab Mukherjee appears to be gaining support of Congress allies for the President`s post with a formal notification for the election expected next week.
Having been authorised by the party`s Working Committee to name the candidate for the high post, Congress President Sonia Gandhi has held discussions with allies in recent days.
DMK leaders M K Stalin and T R Baalu met Gandhi on Thursday, two days after RLD chief and Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh had called on her. Presidential election was the subject of discussions with all these leaders.
Neither the Congress nor the allies are willing to talk on the issue but informed sources said that the Union Finance Minister appears to be getting the backing of the allies consulted so far.
Another key ally Samjawadi Party headed by Mulayam Singh Yadav is also said to be in favour of Mukherjee, who has had the open support of Lalu Prasad`s RJD and NDA constituent, JD(U).
Congress sources said Gandhi will continue her consultations over the next few days before formally announcing a name for Rashtrapati Bhawan.
Stalin and Baalu, who met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in the morning, also called on Mukherjee after their discussions with Gandhi.
DMK President Karunanidhi, whom Defence Minister A K Antony had met last month as Sonia`s emissary on the Presidential election, has already given backing to Mukherjee as UPA`s Presidential candidate.
"If he is the candidate of the UPA coalition, the DMK will not hesitate to back his candidature," DMK chief M Karunanidhi had told reporters then.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case