Pranab had resigned from the two posts: Officials
Kolkata: Contrary to the claims of opposition-backed Presidential candidate P A Sangma that his rival Pranab Mukherjee still hold two offices of profit as chairman of Rabindra Bharati Society and vice-president of an engineering institute in Birbhum, officials of the two bodies on Saturday said he had resigned much earlier.
Kolkata-based Rabindra Bharati Society`s secretary Nabakumar Sil told a news agency here that Mukherjee had resigned as the Society`s Chairman on June 20, much before filing his nomination for Presidential elections.
"Pranab Mukherjee resigned on June 20 and we had accepted it immediately," he said.
Pointing out that the post of Chairman was an honorary one, its Secretary said "this is a completely apolitical post. Mukherjee was made the Chairman in April 2008 as an educationist and not by virtue of being a politician or a minister."
He also said the former Union Finance Minister was not paid any honorarium.
When contacted, Ramchandra Dome, Secretary of the Institute, said Mukherjee had resigned from the post in 2004.
"Before contesting for the Jangipur Lok Sabha seat in 2004, he had resigned. But somehow his name has remained on our website. We will remove it," he said.
Earlier in the day, Sangma filed a complaint with the Election Commission that besides the post at Rabindra Bharati Society, Mukherjee also held another office of profit as vice-president of Birbhum Institute of Engineering and Technology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark