Pranab had resigned from the two posts: Officials
Kolkata: Contrary to the claims of opposition-backed Presidential candidate P A Sangma that his rival Pranab Mukherjee still hold two offices of profit as chairman of Rabindra Bharati Society and vice-president of an engineering institute in Birbhum, officials of the two bodies on Saturday said he had resigned much earlier.
Kolkata-based Rabindra Bharati Society`s secretary Nabakumar Sil told a news agency here that Mukherjee had resigned as the Society`s Chairman on June 20, much before filing his nomination for Presidential elections.
"Pranab Mukherjee resigned on June 20 and we had accepted it immediately," he said.
Pointing out that the post of Chairman was an honorary one, its Secretary said "this is a completely apolitical post. Mukherjee was made the Chairman in April 2008 as an educationist and not by virtue of being a politician or a minister."
He also said the former Union Finance Minister was not paid any honorarium.
When contacted, Ramchandra Dome, Secretary of the Institute, said Mukherjee had resigned from the post in 2004.
"Before contesting for the Jangipur Lok Sabha seat in 2004, he had resigned. But somehow his name has remained on our website. We will remove it," he said.
Earlier in the day, Sangma filed a complaint with the Election Commission that besides the post at Rabindra Bharati Society, Mukherjee also held another office of profit as vice-president of Birbhum Institute of Engineering and Technology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city