Pranab meets Cong MPs on Lokpal draft issue
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader Pranab Mukherjee, Thursday, met party MPs to discuss the Lokpal Bill drafted by the parliamentary Standing Committee headed by Abhishek Manu Singhvi.
It is believed that the Congress’ biggest crisis manager held the meeting to ensure that the MPs toe the party line on the Lokpal issue.
The meeting was held in the wake of dissent notes submitted by three Congress members -- Deepa Dasmunsi, PT Thomas and Meenakshi Natrajan. The three Congress members want the Chief Vigilance Commissioner (CVC) under the ambit of the Lokpal.
Separately, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Left parties and Samajwadi Party have also submitted their dissent notes.
Singvi yesterday adopted the Lokpal draft for consideration and approval by the Union Cabinet before it is tabled in both houses in the form of an anti-corruption bill.
In all 15 dissent notes on various issues, most relate to exclusion of around 5.7 million Group C government staffers from the ambit of the Lokpal have been submitted.
The Lokpal draft is expected to be discussed in Parliament on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read