Pranab meets ‘ill’ Mamata, denies political agenda
Kolkata: Union Finance Minister and Congress heavyweight Pranab Mukherjee Saturday paid an hour-long visit to Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee, who has been taken ill after a road accident, and denied his visit was ordered by the party`s central leadership.
"After the Lalgarh meeting Banerjee has fallen ill. We are all concerned about her health. I came to see how she is," Mukherjee said while leaving the Trinamool Congress chief`s spartan residence at Kalighat in South Kolkata.
Mukherjee, on a two-hour visit to the city, arrived at Banerjee`s residence at 6.15 p.m., accompanied by state Congress chief Manas Bhuniya.
Mukherjee expressed the hope that Banerjee will get well soon and attend the ongoing monsoon session of parliament.
"I had decided to come and see her during the weekend break in parliament. So, I am here. I have told her to go by the doctor`s advice," he said.
Mukherjee took the opportunity to rubbish reports in a section of the media suggesting that the leadership in New Delhi wanted to seek an explanation on Banerjee`s remarks at a rally in the Maoist stronghold of Lalgarh.
There were reports in some news channels that Mukherjee was sent to the railway minister by Congress chief Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
"This is all bogus. I have come here on my own accord. There is no other reason. I have not come here at anybody`s orders," said the minister.
Mukherjee also took potshots at the media for saying that he would be visiting Banerjee to show her the green card. "I have not come with a red card, green card or a yellow card."
Before coming to the city, the Congress veteran told mediapersons in Delhi: "Whatever is being reported is an absolute figment of imagination."
"I am going to meet her because she is unwell. There is no political agenda," he said.
"Ahead of my meeting, how do you know what I am going to discuss?" he asked reporters.
At the Lalgarh rally Monday, Banerjee slammed the killing of Maoist spokesperson Cherukuri Rajkumar alias Azad in a gunfight with police in Andhra Pradesh July 2, and even suggested that it was a staged shootout.
The Left accused Banerjee of "political collaboration" with Maoists at the rally.
On her way back from Lalgarh, a lorry intruded into the convoy of the railway minister and hit an Intelligence Bureau car behind her vehicle.
Banerjee subsequently took ill, complaining of pain in the chest, neck and waist and breathlessness and was advised rest.
The West Bengal government has ordered a probe into the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow