‘Pranab most suitable for president`s post’
Kolkata: Calling union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee the most suitable person for the president`s post, Trinamool Congress MP Kabir Suman on Wednesday urged West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee to shed her image of "an opposition leader".
"I personally feel Pranab Mukherjee (the ruling United Progressive Alliance`s candidate) is the most suitable person for the post of president. The president needs to be an experienced and very efficient personality and Pranab `babu` fulfils both the criteria. He has been an extraordinary and outstanding parliamentarian," said Suman, a Lok Sabha member and a popular singer.
Suman, who currently has a strained relationship with Trinamool Congress chief Banerjee, said that as a Bengali, he would love to see Mukherjee as the next president.
The member of parliament also urged Banerjee to shed her image as an opposition leader and act as the chief minister of her state.
"She is a great fighter. She has single-handedly decimated the Left. She should shed her image of an opposition leader and political activist. She should behave as the chief minister and should be more calm," he said.
Last week, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh and Banerjee had virtually rejected Mukherjee, whose name Congress President Sonia Gandhi had suggested for presidency during her talks with Banerjee.
The two parties named former president A P J Kalam, former Lok Sabha speaker Somnath Chatterjee and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh as their three preferred candidates for president.
However, Banerjee was left red-faced after Yadav said his party would support Mukherjee. She, however, remained firm on her stand to support Kalam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal