`Pranab Mukherjee`s victory a foregone conclusion`
Chennai: Describing Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee as the "most suitable" presidential candidate for his track-record and multi-dimensional personality, DMK chief M Karunanidhi today said his victory was a "foregone conclusion."
"I am personally happy because of our decades-old association and your love and affection for Tamils. On behalf of DMK, I wish you a very bright success. Your victory for the top post is a foregone conclusion," he said in a letter to Mukherjee after his nomination was officially announced by UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi.
Extending his "hearty congratulations," Karunanidhi described Mukherjee as the "most suitable candidate because of your long track record and multi-dimensional personality."
In a separate letter to Congress President Sonia Gandhi, the DMK leader said he was happy over Mukherjee`s nomination.
Karunanidhi said Mukherjee has a long and varied experience in administration.
Describing him as a powerful negotiator and fearless orator, Karunanidhi said Mukherjee was a "great" economist and understood "very well" Indian economic conditions.
"The allies of UPA will enthusiastically welcome the announcement and ensure his victory which will be an important part of Indian history" he said.
Earlier, Gandhi and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh spoke to Karunanidhi over phone to inform him of UPA`s decision and thanked him for his party`s support, a DMK release said.
Meanwhile, speaking to reporters, Karunanidhi wondered how former President A P J Abdul Kalam`s name came into the reckoning.
To a question on cabinet reshuffle, he said he had no expectations and it was upto the Centre to decide on portfolios and insisted that his party was not involved in any deal in return for its support for Mukherjee.
The DMK berths in the union cabinet, which had fallen vacant, are yet to be filled. A Raja and Dayanidi Maran had resigned following allegations in connection with the 2G spectrum allocation scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars