Pranab not morally qualified to be Prez: Jethmalani
Mumbai: Stepping up his attack on UPA`s Presidential nominee Pranab Mukherjee, BJP MP Ram Jethmalani on Saturday accused him of having aided in the "excesses" of Emergency.
"What did Mukherjee do to prevent the Emergency excesses? He was a constant companion of Sanjay Gandhi that time and in 2010. In a book on the Congress` history, Mukherjee laid the blame of all excesses on Sanjay to absolve Indira Gandhi," the noted lawyer told a press conference.
Describing himself as the "self employed" worker of NDA Presidential candidate P A Sangma, Jethmalani said that compared to Mukherjee, the former Lok Sabha Speaker had a clean track record.
"He is an honest man and knows the Constitution well," he said.
"People might forgive Mukherjee and forget what he did. But, Ram Jethmalani will not do so. I was Chairman of the Bar Council during Emergency when I opposed Emergency. Sanjay Gandhi declared that he wanted me dead or alive," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport