Pranab not morally qualified to be Prez: Jethmalani
Mumbai: Stepping up his attack on UPA`s Presidential nominee Pranab Mukherjee, BJP MP Ram Jethmalani on Saturday accused him of having aided in the "excesses" of Emergency.
"What did Mukherjee do to prevent the Emergency excesses? He was a constant companion of Sanjay Gandhi that time and in 2010. In a book on the Congress` history, Mukherjee laid the blame of all excesses on Sanjay to absolve Indira Gandhi," the noted lawyer told a press conference.
Describing himself as the "self employed" worker of NDA Presidential candidate P A Sangma, Jethmalani said that compared to Mukherjee, the former Lok Sabha Speaker had a clean track record.
"He is an honest man and knows the Constitution well," he said.
"People might forgive Mukherjee and forget what he did. But, Ram Jethmalani will not do so. I was Chairman of the Bar Council during Emergency when I opposed Emergency. Sanjay Gandhi declared that he wanted me dead or alive," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!