Pranab not morally qualified to be Prez: Jethmalani
Mumbai: Stepping up his attack on UPA`s Presidential nominee Pranab Mukherjee, BJP MP Ram Jethmalani on Saturday accused him of having aided in the "excesses" of Emergency.
"What did Mukherjee do to prevent the Emergency excesses? He was a constant companion of Sanjay Gandhi that time and in 2010. In a book on the Congress` history, Mukherjee laid the blame of all excesses on Sanjay to absolve Indira Gandhi," the noted lawyer told a press conference.
Describing himself as the "self employed" worker of NDA Presidential candidate P A Sangma, Jethmalani said that compared to Mukherjee, the former Lok Sabha Speaker had a clean track record.
"He is an honest man and knows the Constitution well," he said.
"People might forgive Mukherjee and forget what he did. But, Ram Jethmalani will not do so. I was Chairman of the Bar Council during Emergency when I opposed Emergency. Sanjay Gandhi declared that he wanted me dead or alive," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH