Pranab thanks Sharad Yadav for support
New Delhi: Soon after being elected the President of the country, Pranab Mukherjee called up JD(U) leader Sharad Yadav and thanked him for his party`s support to him.
Yadav, who is the NDA convener, also congratulated Mukherjee and his family over the victory.
Yadav`s party JD(U), a key ally of the NDA, has supported Mukherjee`s candidature going against the BJP`s decision to back P A Sangma, who was propped up by AIADMK and BJD to contest against Mukherjee.
The JD(U) had made it clear that its support to Mukherjee in the Presidential contest should not be taken as an indication of the party moving closer to Congress as it has always fought the latter`s policies.
Even as it backed the UPA candidate in the Presidential race, JD(U) decided to support BJP in the election for the Vice President, in which UPA nominee Hamid Ansari is locked in a direct contest with BJP`s Jaswant Singh.
BJP had earlier asked Yadav to contest as the NDA Vice Presidential nominee, which he declined.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you