Pranab thanks Sharad Yadav for support
New Delhi: Soon after being elected the President of the country, Pranab Mukherjee called up JD(U) leader Sharad Yadav and thanked him for his party`s support to him.
Yadav, who is the NDA convener, also congratulated Mukherjee and his family over the victory.
Yadav`s party JD(U), a key ally of the NDA, has supported Mukherjee`s candidature going against the BJP`s decision to back P A Sangma, who was propped up by AIADMK and BJD to contest against Mukherjee.
The JD(U) had made it clear that its support to Mukherjee in the Presidential contest should not be taken as an indication of the party moving closer to Congress as it has always fought the latter`s policies.
Even as it backed the UPA candidate in the Presidential race, JD(U) decided to support BJP in the election for the Vice President, in which UPA nominee Hamid Ansari is locked in a direct contest with BJP`s Jaswant Singh.
BJP had earlier asked Yadav to contest as the NDA Vice Presidential nominee, which he declined.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre