Pranab will be a wonderful President: Basu
New Delhi: Lauding Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee for his erudition and ability to concentrate on work at hand, among other qualities, Chief Economic Advisor Kaushik Basu today said he would be a "wonderful" President.
"He (Mukherjee) is a person of great erudition... knowledge and for a President (that) is exactly what you need. He is just wonderful at that," Basu told reporters on the sidelines of an event organised by IMI.
He further said it is with amazing concentration that he would do his fiscal policy, Finance Ministry work when he had 10 other political jobs.
On who would become the next Finance Finance Minister if Mukherjee becomes President, Basu said, "We have (many) people, so hopeful (that) someone good will step in in his shoes...It would be (a) very hard act to follow him".
Mukherjee would resign before he files nomination for the election after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s return from his nine-day foreign trip on June 23, according to MoS in the PMO, V Narayanasamy.
Indications are that Singh would keep the Finance portfolio with himself for some time if Mukherjee moves to the Rashtrapati Bhawan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- OROP implementation after Bihar poll, says Manohar Parrikar
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men