Pranab will be a wonderful President: Basu
New Delhi: Lauding Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee for his erudition and ability to concentrate on work at hand, among other qualities, Chief Economic Advisor Kaushik Basu today said he would be a "wonderful" President.
"He (Mukherjee) is a person of great erudition... knowledge and for a President (that) is exactly what you need. He is just wonderful at that," Basu told reporters on the sidelines of an event organised by IMI.
He further said it is with amazing concentration that he would do his fiscal policy, Finance Ministry work when he had 10 other political jobs.
On who would become the next Finance Finance Minister if Mukherjee becomes President, Basu said, "We have (many) people, so hopeful (that) someone good will step in in his shoes...It would be (a) very hard act to follow him".
Mukherjee would resign before he files nomination for the election after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s return from his nine-day foreign trip on June 23, according to MoS in the PMO, V Narayanasamy.
Indications are that Singh would keep the Finance portfolio with himself for some time if Mukherjee moves to the Rashtrapati Bhawan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport