Pranab will be a wonderful President: Basu
New Delhi: Lauding Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee for his erudition and ability to concentrate on work at hand, among other qualities, Chief Economic Advisor Kaushik Basu today said he would be a "wonderful" President.
"He (Mukherjee) is a person of great erudition... knowledge and for a President (that) is exactly what you need. He is just wonderful at that," Basu told reporters on the sidelines of an event organised by IMI.
He further said it is with amazing concentration that he would do his fiscal policy, Finance Ministry work when he had 10 other political jobs.
On who would become the next Finance Finance Minister if Mukherjee becomes President, Basu said, "We have (many) people, so hopeful (that) someone good will step in in his shoes...It would be (a) very hard act to follow him".
Mukherjee would resign before he files nomination for the election after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s return from his nine-day foreign trip on June 23, according to MoS in the PMO, V Narayanasamy.
Indications are that Singh would keep the Finance portfolio with himself for some time if Mukherjee moves to the Rashtrapati Bhawan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls