‘Pranab would win comfortably in case of contest’
Chandigarh: Congress on Saturday said Pranab Mukherjee would win comfortably in the event of a contest for the Presidential post.
"After the support from parties including SP, BSP, we are hopeful of getting more support for Pranab ji from others... We can only appeal. We hope she (Mamata Banerjee) will also extend her support now. Pranab has also appealed to Mamata for support, saying she was like a sister to him," senior Congress leader and Union Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal told reporters here.
To a question Bansal saw Pranab "winning comfortably", even if there was a contest.
"There is no doubt about that, but first we are not even certain if there will be a contest," he said.
Asked about Mamata earlier making public her choice for former President APJ Abdul Kalam by ignoring her coalition partner, Bansal said, "Before the candidature was announced, she was entitled to her view. After declaration of Mukherjee`s candidature, we will request her to support him...May be she does a re-think (on supporting Pranab)".
He tried to play down questions on whether Congress will dump the Trinamool Congress in the wake of the recent developments.
"What she said earlier was her outlook...Everyone (other partners) were unanimous about Pranab`s choice".
On Mamata putting forward Kalam`s name, Bansal said, "one should ask Kalam is he willing to contest. It is up to Kalam whether he would like to contest or not".
On PA Sangma, the Chandigarh MP said: "It was the NCP leader Sharad Pawar who told Sonia (Gandhi) ji to immediately clear Pranab`s name without any delay...If he still wants to contest, it is his right."
Bansal said Mukherjee was a leader of high stature, whom parties across political spectrum held in high regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi