Pranab`s angry remark leads to adjournment of LS
New Delhi: An angry remark by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee in the midst of uproar over a spate of issues, including demand for jute bags for wheat, led to adjournment of the Lok Sabha for over an hour this afternoon.
As BJP members stormed the Well to press their demand for availability of jute bags, an agitated Mukherjee tried to respond, but when they continued with the protest he made a certain remark angering the entire BJP.
AIADMK members too trooped into the Well seeking to have a say in the Aircel-Maxis deal that took place in 2006. The issue was raised by BJP leader Yashwant Sinha targeting the then Finance Minister, alleging that his son was involved.
Home Minister P Chidambaram was the Finance Minister at that time.
Amid cries of `shame, shame` by the opposition members, Sinha alleged that the son of the former Finance Minister got a 5 per cent shares from Maxis.
"Prima facie what happened was a big scam and government should not hush it up," Sinha said, demanding a statement from Mukherjee, who is the Leader of the House, as also the Finance Minister.
A few minutes later, BJP members, especially those from Madhya Pradesh, stormed the Well to press for their demand for jute bags for wheat. They returned to their seats when Mukherjee tried to placate them with a response. He, however, appeared visibly angry saying they have raised the issue for the second consecutive day.
Some remarks from him worsened the situation with agitated BJP members rushing back into the Well and the Speaker adjourning the House till 2 pm amid sharp reaction from the Opposition.
AIADMK members, wanting to speak on the Aircel-Maxis deal,
too stormed the Well when Kumar adjourned the House.
Earlier, when they wanted to have their say, the Speaker moved to another issue with Bishnupad Ray (BJP) narrating the mistreatment meted out to him by a Home Ministry official yesterday when he had gone to meet him on a matter concerning his constituency of Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
This led to sharp protests from the BJP and some other sections of the House.
Responding quickly, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal said the government views very seriously any mistreatment of any member. He said he is personally taking the matter to the Home Minister.
When the BJP members continued to press for their demand, Speaker Meira Kumar observed that she was already seized of the matter and had initiated appropriate action on it before the House met for the day.
"My responsibility is not just to run the House but also to uphold the respect and ensure safety of the members. We have to ensure that this does not happen again," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly