Pranab’s vision, knowledge noteworthy: Pratibha Patil
New Delhi: The outgoing President Pratibha Patil on Monday hailed Pranab Mukherjee, saying the incoming President’s vision and knowledge are noteworthy.
She further cautioned MPs not to voice their dissensions in Parliament at the cost of serious debate and legislations and maintained that they should keep abreast of new developments in technology and information explosion while making laws.
In her farewell speech to Parliamentarians here, Patil pointed out that varied political thinking is a part of any legislature and more in a country as large and diverse as India. Though this adds to the "vibrancy" of our democratic institutions, it also poses a challenge as a multiplicity of expectations are to be met.
"Naturally, there will be arguments in the process of the search for answers, but it should never happen that in the din we lose our way forward. At the end of the day, the worth, value and respect of a legislature, is judged by its output in terms of serious debate and legislations," she said.
Patil`s tenure had seen the washout of the whole winter session of Parliament in 2010 when BJP-led NDA insisted on formation of a Joint Parliamentary Committee to probe the 2G Spectrum scam. Disruptions and walkouts have become more frequent in recent months.
The outgoing President also pointed out that in the last two decades there have been changes "such as information explosion, technological innovations, increasing economic prosperity, growing materialism and in its midst the danger of losing values".
Patil said governments and legislatures need to seriously reflect on these fundamental changes.
"If unnoticed, our systems and institutions could be out-of-size and out-of-time. Therefore, deep thought should be given by Hon`ble Members to how our institutions, our administrative practices, legislatures and legal processes, can fulfil these growing demands and responsibilities effectively," Patil said.
The outgoing President also called for unity, which is needed in facing problems of the nation.
UPA candidate Pranab Mukherjee is ready to be sworn in as the next President of India on Wednesday.
Parliamentarians are likely to give a warm send-off to outgoing President Pratibha Patil today.
The farewell ceremony will be attended by Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress president Sonia Gandhi and Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar along with members of Parliament from both the Upper and lower House.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt