Pranab’s vision, knowledge noteworthy: Pratibha Patil
New Delhi: The outgoing President Pratibha Patil on Monday hailed Pranab Mukherjee, saying the incoming President’s vision and knowledge are noteworthy.
She further cautioned MPs not to voice their dissensions in Parliament at the cost of serious debate and legislations and maintained that they should keep abreast of new developments in technology and information explosion while making laws.
In her farewell speech to Parliamentarians here, Patil pointed out that varied political thinking is a part of any legislature and more in a country as large and diverse as India. Though this adds to the "vibrancy" of our democratic institutions, it also poses a challenge as a multiplicity of expectations are to be met.
"Naturally, there will be arguments in the process of the search for answers, but it should never happen that in the din we lose our way forward. At the end of the day, the worth, value and respect of a legislature, is judged by its output in terms of serious debate and legislations," she said.
Patil`s tenure had seen the washout of the whole winter session of Parliament in 2010 when BJP-led NDA insisted on formation of a Joint Parliamentary Committee to probe the 2G Spectrum scam. Disruptions and walkouts have become more frequent in recent months.
The outgoing President also pointed out that in the last two decades there have been changes "such as information explosion, technological innovations, increasing economic prosperity, growing materialism and in its midst the danger of losing values".
Patil said governments and legislatures need to seriously reflect on these fundamental changes.
"If unnoticed, our systems and institutions could be out-of-size and out-of-time. Therefore, deep thought should be given by Hon`ble Members to how our institutions, our administrative practices, legislatures and legal processes, can fulfil these growing demands and responsibilities effectively," Patil said.
The outgoing President also called for unity, which is needed in facing problems of the nation.
UPA candidate Pranab Mukherjee is ready to be sworn in as the next President of India on Wednesday.
Parliamentarians are likely to give a warm send-off to outgoing President Pratibha Patil today.
The farewell ceremony will be attended by Vice President Hamid Ansari, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress president Sonia Gandhi and Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar along with members of Parliament from both the Upper and lower House.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'