Prashant Bhushan assault: Absconding youth arrested
New Delhi: The two absconding youth involved in the assault on Team Anna member Prashant Bhushan over his comments on Kashmir were arrested by the Delhi Police from near the Bangla Sahib Gurudwara in the capital Thursday morning.
26-year-old Delhi resident Tejender Pal Singh Bagga and his accomplice Vishnu Gupta had fled after attacking Bhushan yesterday, their third accomplice While Verma was apprehended yesterday itself. The three had barged into Prashant Bhushan’s chamber inside the Supreme Court and assaulted him.
Bagga, who is a resident of Vishu Garden in North West Delhi, and Vishnu Gupta had formed the Bhagat Singh Kranti Sena earlier this year. Bagga is said to be a former member of BJP Yuva Morcha. They were later joined by Inder Verma, an activist of Sri Ram Sene.
They are said to be upset with Bhushan over his recent comments favouring plebiscite in Kashmir. The noted lawyer had gone to Varanasi two weeks ago where during a press conference he was asked if he would favour a referendum in Kashmir. He had replied that there could be a referendum. It is this comment that angered the group.
Immediately after the attack, Bagga had tweeted: "He try (sic) to break my nation, I try to break his head. Hisab chukta. Congrats to all. Operation Prashant Bhushan successful."
Followed by another one: “We hit Prashant Bhushan hard in his chamber in Supreme Court. If you will try to break my nation, I will break your heads."
Inder Verma, who is said to be Sri Ram Sene`s Delhi unit president, told reporters: "We had gone to seek his response about his statement on Kashmir. He had talked about giving away Kashmir to Pakistan, which we strongly protest. It`s an insult to martyrs and this will not be tolerated in India."
The activists had scattered pamphlets with the name of Bhagat Singh Kranti Sena after beating Bhushan.
The attack was widely condemned. Home Minister P Chidambaram said, “Nobody has the right to take law in their hands and I have asked Delhi Police to take appropriate action against the people involved in the attack."
Anna Hazare condemned the attack on Bhushan, a key member of his team, and demanded security for his aides for "some time."
"No words are enough to describe this barbaric act. Strictest punishment should be given to these people and the true identity of these people should be found," Congress spokesperson Abhishek Manu Singhvi said.
Condemning the attack, BJP spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman said: "Whatever is the due process of law, it should be taken on this. BJP has nothing to do with these people,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Eight injured in bus blast in Haryana, government forms SIT
- CBSE Class 10th Results 2016: (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) CBSE 10th result 2016, CBSE Class 10th X Results 2016, CBSE Board 10th Class results to be declared today
- Watch video: Zeus the husky throws the most priceless tantrum; refuses get off the couch!
- Five killed as boiler bursts in private chemical company in Dombivli township
- HRD Ministry directs UGC to amend regulations regarding workload of teachers