Pratibha Patil wants to take Prez ‘gifts’ to Amravati
New Delhi: After the controversy over her post retirement home in Pune, former president Pratibha Patil is facing flak over a museum - dedicated to her - being set up in her hometown Amravati.
The museum, under direct supervision of her family, will showcase Pratibha Patil’s journey from Amravati to Rashtrapati Bhavan.
Among other things to be put on display are over 150 gifts she received during her numerous visits to foreign countries.
As per the constitution, the President’s gifts belong to the tosh khana (govt treasury). Reports claim that Pratibha Patil’s office has sought the gifts as a ‘loan’ from Rashtrapati Bhavan.
The museum will be maintained by Vidya Bharati Shikshan Prasarak Mandal, which runs a chain of schools, controlled by Pratibha Patil’s son and Congress MLA Rajendra Singh Shekhawat. Some reports said that the Mandal will charge for entry into the museum.
A RTO query had revealed that Pratibha Patil had spent over Rs 200 crore on tours to 22 countries during her tenure as the Head of State. Moreover, in 2009-2010 she took along a number of family members to Poland, Russia, Tajikstan, UK, Cyprus, China, South Africa and Seychelles.
Patil had to also let go of her wish to retire to a huge bungalow on a five-acre plot in Pune after it came to light that the land belonged to war widows. In its place a 2,500 sq ft bungalow on a one-acre plot is being readied for her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- CHSE Odisha +2 Results 2015 (chseodisha.nic.in): Odisha Board Class 12th Result 2015 declared on orissaresults.nic.in