Pratibha Patil wants to take Prez ‘gifts’ to Amravati
New Delhi: After the controversy over her post retirement home in Pune, former president Pratibha Patil is facing flak over a museum - dedicated to her - being set up in her hometown Amravati.
The museum, under direct supervision of her family, will showcase Pratibha Patil’s journey from Amravati to Rashtrapati Bhavan.
Among other things to be put on display are over 150 gifts she received during her numerous visits to foreign countries.
As per the constitution, the President’s gifts belong to the tosh khana (govt treasury). Reports claim that Pratibha Patil’s office has sought the gifts as a ‘loan’ from Rashtrapati Bhavan.
The museum will be maintained by Vidya Bharati Shikshan Prasarak Mandal, which runs a chain of schools, controlled by Pratibha Patil’s son and Congress MLA Rajendra Singh Shekhawat. Some reports said that the Mandal will charge for entry into the museum.
A RTO query had revealed that Pratibha Patil had spent over Rs 200 crore on tours to 22 countries during her tenure as the Head of State. Moreover, in 2009-2010 she took along a number of family members to Poland, Russia, Tajikstan, UK, Cyprus, China, South Africa and Seychelles.
Patil had to also let go of her wish to retire to a huge bungalow on a five-acre plot in Pune after it came to light that the land belonged to war widows. In its place a 2,500 sq ft bungalow on a one-acre plot is being readied for her.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India