Pratibha Patil wants to take Prez ‘gifts’ to Amravati
New Delhi: After the controversy over her post retirement home in Pune, former president Pratibha Patil is facing flak over a museum - dedicated to her - being set up in her hometown Amravati.
The museum, under direct supervision of her family, will showcase Pratibha Patil’s journey from Amravati to Rashtrapati Bhavan.
Among other things to be put on display are over 150 gifts she received during her numerous visits to foreign countries.
As per the constitution, the President’s gifts belong to the tosh khana (govt treasury). Reports claim that Pratibha Patil’s office has sought the gifts as a ‘loan’ from Rashtrapati Bhavan.
The museum will be maintained by Vidya Bharati Shikshan Prasarak Mandal, which runs a chain of schools, controlled by Pratibha Patil’s son and Congress MLA Rajendra Singh Shekhawat. Some reports said that the Mandal will charge for entry into the museum.
A RTO query had revealed that Pratibha Patil had spent over Rs 200 crore on tours to 22 countries during her tenure as the Head of State. Moreover, in 2009-2010 she took along a number of family members to Poland, Russia, Tajikstan, UK, Cyprus, China, South Africa and Seychelles.
Patil had to also let go of her wish to retire to a huge bungalow on a five-acre plot in Pune after it came to light that the land belonged to war widows. In its place a 2,500 sq ft bungalow on a one-acre plot is being readied for her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone
- Body unnoticed in Australian fast-food outlet for days