Pravinchandra Gandhi passes away
Mumbai: Pravinchandra V Gandhi, former
Chairman of Dena Bank and a leading figure in the print media
industry, passed away here today after prolonged illness.
Gandhi (87) was Chairman emeritus of the Saurashtra
Trust that publishes the Janmabhoomi group of newspapers and
magazine and was also a former Chairman of the Press Trust of
India. He had been ailing for over a couple of years.
A member of the Board of PTI for several years, Gandhi
was its Chairman during 1994-95.
Gandhi is survived by wife and two sons. The last
rites were performed at the Chandanwari crematorium here.
A multi-faceted personality, he was an eminent banker
and financial adviser, besides being a media figure. Joining
the Dena bank in 1939, Gandhi rose to become Chairman and
Managing Director in 1967 taking it to the seventh ranked bank
in the nation. He was its custodian in 1969.
He was the past President of FICCI in 1978 and former
President of Indian Newspaper Society in 1988.
In a tribute, PTI Chairman Vijay Kumar Chopra, said
Gandhi was a leading light of the media industry. "His
contribution to the growth of PTI was significant," he said.
Gandhi remained the main guiding force behind the
development and growth of Janmabhoomi Group of newspapers
which has five dailies, one bi-weekly and one weekly newspaper
Among them are Gujarati daily Janmabhoomi,
Janmabhoomi Pravasi weekly in Gujarat and Vyapaar, business
daily in Gujarati and Hindi.
He was awarded Padma Bhushan in 2002 for his
contribution to social service.
Gandhi was associated with various public trusts and
charitable organisations. He was President of the Bharatiya
He also headed the Indian Merchants Chamber and was
a member of several financial, social, cultural
and educational institutions. He was director in renowned
business houses like Singhania, Walchand Nagar Group, R P
Goenka Group and Shriram Group of Delhi.
Gandhi had also served on 15 public bodies like the
Bombay Port Trust, Bombay Customs Advisory Board, Central
Taxes Advisory Committee and the Council of the Institution of
Chartered Accountants of India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- First Minister Nicola Sturgeon plans EU future for Scotland after Brexit
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal