Pravinchandra Gandhi passes away
Mumbai: Pravinchandra V Gandhi, former
Chairman of Dena Bank and a leading figure in the print media
industry, passed away here today after prolonged illness.
Gandhi (87) was Chairman emeritus of the Saurashtra
Trust that publishes the Janmabhoomi group of newspapers and
magazine and was also a former Chairman of the Press Trust of
India. He had been ailing for over a couple of years.
A member of the Board of PTI for several years, Gandhi
was its Chairman during 1994-95.
Gandhi is survived by wife and two sons. The last
rites were performed at the Chandanwari crematorium here.
A multi-faceted personality, he was an eminent banker
and financial adviser, besides being a media figure. Joining
the Dena bank in 1939, Gandhi rose to become Chairman and
Managing Director in 1967 taking it to the seventh ranked bank
in the nation. He was its custodian in 1969.
He was the past President of FICCI in 1978 and former
President of Indian Newspaper Society in 1988.
In a tribute, PTI Chairman Vijay Kumar Chopra, said
Gandhi was a leading light of the media industry. "His
contribution to the growth of PTI was significant," he said.
Gandhi remained the main guiding force behind the
development and growth of Janmabhoomi Group of newspapers
which has five dailies, one bi-weekly and one weekly newspaper
Among them are Gujarati daily Janmabhoomi,
Janmabhoomi Pravasi weekly in Gujarat and Vyapaar, business
daily in Gujarati and Hindi.
He was awarded Padma Bhushan in 2002 for his
contribution to social service.
Gandhi was associated with various public trusts and
charitable organisations. He was President of the Bharatiya
He also headed the Indian Merchants Chamber and was
a member of several financial, social, cultural
and educational institutions. He was director in renowned
business houses like Singhania, Walchand Nagar Group, R P
Goenka Group and Shriram Group of Delhi.
Gandhi had also served on 15 public bodies like the
Bombay Port Trust, Bombay Customs Advisory Board, Central
Taxes Advisory Committee and the Council of the Institution of
Chartered Accountants of India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org