Prefer turbulent Parliament over quiet one: Suu Kyi
New Delhi: Myanmar pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi on Thursday met Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar and said she preferred a turbulent Parliament over a quiet one as it showcased power of the people.
According to a statement from the office of Lok Sabha speaker, Suu Kyi talked about parliamentary democracy and highlighted the advantages of a turbulent Parliament.
Suu Kyi also planted a sapling of Magnolia Grandlora (commonly known as Champa) in the Parliament House complex.
Welcoming Suu Kyi, Speaker Meira Kumar said India looked at Myanmar as a natural ally to ensure peace and prosperity for the people of the two countries, especially those in the northeast.
"Myanmar is a cherished neighbour of India. We look at Myanmar as a natural ally to ensure peace and prosperity for the people of the two countries, especially those living in India`s northeastern states," the Speaker told Suu Kyi.
The Speaker lauded Suu Kyi`s commitment to the people of Myanmar and for peace around the world.
"The people of India have seen with great admiration Suu Kyi`s heroic struggle to establish democracy in Myanmar," said the speaker.
Meira Kumar also recalled her occasional interactions with Suu Kyi during their school days in Jaipur and congratulated the National League for Democracy leader on her party`s spectacular electoral show in the elections in Myanmar in April this year.
According to the statement, the Bureau of Parliamentary Studies and Training has trained 30 parliamentarians and 30 parliamentary officials of Myanmar in the recent past.
Suu Kyi responded by saying that the foundation of relationship between India and Myanmar was laid in history and culture.
"The friendship between the leaders of the two countries, both personal and political, would never fade away," she said.
The 67-year-old Nobel laureate is in India on a visit that ends Nov 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say