Prepare own plans for grants: UGC to universities
New Delhi: The UGC has asked universities
across the country to prepare their own plans for seeking
grants from the commission for development purpose, a step
aimed at granting more autonomy to the varsities.
So far, expert committees deputed by UGC used to visit
the universities to assess financial needs of each university
based on which funds were allocated.
"The past experience shows us that this procedure
invariably resulted in delayed communication of financial
allocations to the universities by UGC due to variety of
factors," said UGC chairman Ved Prakash in a letter to the
Citing this as one of the major reasons for discontinuing
with the practice, he said the existing procedure led to
delayed implementation of programmes and under-utilisation of
funds by the varsities.
There from now on "universities will have complete
autonomy to prepare its perspective plan and after getting it
duly approved by the statutory authorities, it may be
submitted to the UGC," Prakash said in his letter.
He also suggested the vice chancellors to prepare
proposals for their university under the 12th Five Year Plan
Period and submit it to UGC by March 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city