Prepare own plans for grants: UGC to universities
New Delhi: The UGC has asked universities
across the country to prepare their own plans for seeking
grants from the commission for development purpose, a step
aimed at granting more autonomy to the varsities.
So far, expert committees deputed by UGC used to visit
the universities to assess financial needs of each university
based on which funds were allocated.
"The past experience shows us that this procedure
invariably resulted in delayed communication of financial
allocations to the universities by UGC due to variety of
factors," said UGC chairman Ved Prakash in a letter to the
Citing this as one of the major reasons for discontinuing
with the practice, he said the existing procedure led to
delayed implementation of programmes and under-utilisation of
funds by the varsities.
There from now on "universities will have complete
autonomy to prepare its perspective plan and after getting it
duly approved by the statutory authorities, it may be
submitted to the UGC," Prakash said in his letter.
He also suggested the vice chancellors to prepare
proposals for their university under the 12th Five Year Plan
Period and submit it to UGC by March 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery