‘Present both drafts of Lokpal bill to cabinet’
New Delhi: Senior lawyer and civil society representative Shanti Bhushan Tuesday wrote to union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee that both versions of the Lokpal bill - of the government and civil society - be presented before the cabinet.
"It was discussed and decided in the joint drafting committee meeting that both the versions of the Lokpal bill will be presented before the cabinet," Bhushan wrote to Mukherjee, who is the chair of the 10-member Lokpal bill joint drafting committee.
"We have heard that the cabinet is likely to meet soon to decide on the issue of Lokpal. Therefore, we would request you to present both the drafts before the cabinet as was decided," he added.
The 10-member panel was formed in April after a fast by social activist Anna Hazare to demand a stringent anti-corruption law. The civil society members want the Lokpal bill to be passed by parliament by Aug 15 and have threatened another fast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...