President accepts resignation of DMK ministers
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee on Thursday accepted the resignation of five ministers belonging to the DMK, which withdrew support to the UPA government on the Sri Lankan Tamils issue.
"The President of India, as advised by the Prime Minister, has accepted the resignation of the following members of the Union Council of Ministers with immediate effect," a Rashtrapati Bhavan release said naming the DMK representatives in the Union Ministry.
MK Alagiri, the minister of Chemicals and Fertilisers, SS Palanimanickam, the minister of state for Finance, S Gandhiselvan, the minister of state for Health and Family Welfare, S Jagathrakshakan, the minister of state for Commerce and Industry and D Nepoleon, the minister of state for Social Justice and Empowerment, had submitted their resignations to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh yesterday.
Srikant Jena shall be given Independent Charge of the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilisers as Minister of State, in addition to Independent Charge of the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation as Minister of State, the release said.
The DMK ministers put in their papers after the DMK withdrew support to the UPA government over the Sri Lankan Tamils issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video