President accepts seven ministers` resignations
New Delhi: President Pranab Mukherjee has accepted the resignations of seven members of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s council of ministers, including SM Krishna (external affairs) and Ambika Soni (information and broadcasting), it was announced Saturday.
A Rastrapati Bhavan communique said that four ministers of cabinet rank and three ministers of state put in their papers and these have been accepted on the prime minister`s advice.
"The president of India, as advised by the prime minister, has accepted the resignation of the seven members of the union council of ministers with immediate effect," the communique said.
Among the other ministers who quit ahead of a major cabinet reshuffle on Sunday were include Mukul Wasnik (social justice and empowerment) and Subodh Kant Sahai (tourism).
Former Lok Sabha speaker PA Sangma`s daughter Agatha Sangma, who represented the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) in the government, quit as minister of state for rural development.
Her father had resigned from NCP to contest the presidential polls three months ago. Since then, he has gone on to head a party of tribals.
The other ministers of state who quit are Mahadeo Singh Khandela (tribal affairs), and Vincent Pala (water resources and minority affairs).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing