President appeals to Naxals to shun violence
Lakhu: President Pratibha
Patil on Tuesday appealed to Maoists to shun violence and join the
mainstream, stressing that peace and stability were imperative
for development in the country.
"I would like to appeal to those involved in Naxalism to
shun violence and join in the progress and peace of the
country," Patil said after unveiling a statue of CRPF officer
Satyawan Singh Yadav who was killed in an encounter with the
Maoists last year.
This is the first the first time that such an honour has
been bestowed on a central police force officer who lost his
life in an anti-Naxal operation.
Singh was the leader of the 76-strong patrol party which
was ambushed by Naxals in Chhattisgarh`s Dantewada area in
April last year. It was the deadliest attack ever against
security forces by the Maoists.
"Terrorism is a threat to the security and peace of both
India and the world. Naxalism has emerged as a big issue and
we have to remember that for development, peace and stability
are necessary," the President said.
Patil also honoured the officer`s wife with a shawl.
"Singh bravely commanded an anti-Naxal operation in
Chhattisgarh. I pay tributes to all those personnel who made
supreme sacrifice in the operation," she said.
Rajasthan Governor Shivraj Patil, Chief Minister Ashok
Gehlot and Union Minister of State for Home Jitendra Singh
also attended the event in this sleepy, tiny hamlet.
Senior Delhi-based CRPF officers and a band of the force
took part in the function during which the 6.5-foot high
statue of Singh in ceremonial attire was unveiled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery